Author Topic: Gwen's Lyrics  (Read 6094 times)

PrisonerFace

• I want to fill my glass up with you constantly
    • View Profile
Gwen's Lyrics
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:48:44 PM »
I think that Gwen is a gifted songwriter. A lot of her lyrics are very strong. I saw a review of The Sweet Escape in whch the critic said that Gwen had always had a problem with lyrics. I totally disagree, she is one of the best. What I adore about Gwen's lyrics are:

1) Immense lexicon. There are not many songwriters who use such rich and varied language, Bob Dylan and Paul Simon are the only ones who immediately spring to mind.
Who would have thought to include words such as 'indentured' ia a song?

2) Her thoughts about jealousy and insecurity and obsession certainly ring true with me. I feel that she describes how I feel and therefore would understand me. Return of Saturn is full with such lyrics which is why I think it is NDs best album. In comparison, The Beatles wrote many love songs but I do not think any describe life as I have experienced it. For this reason I find them trivial and dull.

3) When she sings it sounds like she means it,Gwen sounds happy when she is singing about happy things, down/depressed when she is singing about self-doubt and jealousy, amgry when she is singing about being angry. Compare this, say, to Sean Kingston who sounded very happy when he was singing about being suicidal! I detest such songs.

I am sure there are other reasons that I could think of but these 3 enable me to listen to ND over and over again without getting bored.

I would love to hear what you think. What lyrics do you rate highest?

LivingAPlatinumBlondeLife

• View Profile
Re: Gwen's Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »
I completely agree. Gwen writes so many beautiful songs that I can relate to so much. Return of Saturn has some of the most beautiful and interesting lyrics I've ever heard from any artist. You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth with everything you've already said.

Avatar and Signature made by LucyInTheSky - Thanks!

PrisonerFace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 04:49:09 PM »
LivingAPlatinumBlondeLife, this is spooky. You agree 100% with everything I say. Are we twins separated at birth?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:23:07 PM »
We might be you never know! :o haha But what you said about lyricists is true. Gwen Stefani and Bob Dylan are my 2 favorite songwriters so that you mentioned him is kinda spooky. Also I've always thought that she would completely understand me because so many of her lyrics are similar to things that I have written in my own journal. ( Of course she has a better way with words than I do, but still)

LucyInTheSky

• View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
1) Immense lexicon. There are not many songwriters who use such rich and varied language, Bob Dylan and Paul Simon are the only ones who immediately spring to mind.
Who would have thought to include words such as 'indentured' ia a song?

this is sooo true.
Sometimes it was hard for me to understand the lyrics because I'm german, but now I sometimes use such words in my essays in school.  ;D
I learned a lot from that.
It's always darkest right before the dawn.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
^ Who knew listening to No Doubt could be so educational? hehe

PrisonerFace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »
Nobody has said their favourites.

Mine are 'I want to feel my glass up with you constantly' I'm not sure if Gwen or Eric wrote that.

'Like a fresh battery i'm energised by you'

'For a long time I was in love. Not only in love, I was obsessed.'

They all accurately express how I feel aout Gwen. Love is often obsessive and very few songwriters have attempted to write about it.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
I don't know who exactly wrote all my favorites but I'm guessing a majority of them are Gwen's.
My 2 favorites are

"You're trying my shoes on for a change / they look so good but fit so strange"

"The ones I loathe are the ones who know me the best"

PrisonerFace

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 11:54:45 AM »
"You're trying my shoes on for a change / they look so good but fit so strange"
I really like this lyric but I've never understood what it means.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
I always related that line to when people say "Taking a walk in someone else's shoes" and it's like she's saying you're trying to see how I live and it looks great on the outside but it's pretty strange once you try it out. That's just my interpretation.